Re: perl 5.8 compatibility

Brendan O'Dea wrote:

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 01:06:34PM -0400, Fredrick Paul Eisele wrote:
I would like to install perl 5.8.0-rc1 along side of perl 5.6.1
What do I need to do to get them to play nice together?

I would recommend for the time being that you install 5.8rc into
/usr/local .
I presume you would recommend putting the compiled modules in /usr/local/perl/5.8.0/?
Or, would it be /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.0/?

Also, do you have a plan to replace 5.6.1 with 5.8?

Yes, of course.  I'm working on some packages now, although they won't
be released until 5.8.0 is and almost certainly won't make woody (which
is pretty much frozen solid as far as the base packages are concerned).
I guess you are planning on sid?

I am interested in perl 5.8 because the unicode bugs, particularly those associated
with pack, are giving me fits.
Thanks