Re: Perl modules naming in Debian (OT response)

* Adam Byrtek (alpha@student.uci.agh.edu.pl) spake thusly:
> Hi,
> I'm new on this list, so excuse me if my question is quite obvious.
> I'm a bit courious why Perl modules in Debian are called libxxx-perl,
> and not libperl-xxx. IMO the second style would make them a lot easier
> to find and browse!

This doesn't answer your question AT ALL and is really completely off
topic, but here's little trick I picked up at perlmonks.org for
installing modules which aren't available through apt-get:

01 Download the source for the CPAN module you want to build
02 gunzip the download, and untar it as per normal
03 cd into the base of the source. Instead of running 'perl
   Makefile.PL', run: dh-make-perl --build
04 When the .deb is generated, run 'make test', as you normally would
05 If all is successful, install the newly generated .deb

You'll need to install the dh-make-perl package.  Also, in step 03, you
may need to pass it

--version X.XX

where X.XX is the version of the module you're installing.

This will allow you to continue monitoring your installed modules with
dpkg and the various apt- utilities.
--