Re: dependency nightmare

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 04:37:40PM -0700, seph wrote:
>yesterday I was installing a variety of software in a testing machine,
>and discovered just how painful the debian perl modules packages can
>be. It was a nightmare I thought dpkg was supposed to prevent.
>
>I'm finding that perl packages install into
>/usr/lib/perl5/<ver>/... and depend on some perl, but that I have a
>newer perl version that doesn't include the path they installed into,
>but still meets the dependancy.

Any package outside of Perl itself installing files into either of
/usr/lib/perl or /usr/share/perl is *broken*.  File a bug on the
package.

Modules must install to /usr/{lib,share}/perl5 (note the "5") under
which there is no version subdir.  There are also some specific
dependency requirements which are designed to ensure that only modules
compatable with the current perl are installable.

See the Perl Policy document (in package debian-policy).

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9810 3633