Re: WARNING! (was: Re: New Perl Packages Released)

Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 05:30:07PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > > AAARGH!!!!
> > >
> > > You didn't say that these few changes would cause a dist-upgrade to
> > > remove half the system.
> > >
> > > There's no "Provides: perl5" in the transitional perl-5.6 package!!!
> >
> > Package: perl
> > Provides: perl5, data-dumper
> >
> > The upgrade works fine here.
>
> polya:~ # apt-get dist-upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> [...]
> 56 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 93 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
> Need to get 47.3MB of archives. After unpacking 109MB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> Abort.
> polya:~ #
>
> But interestingly, if I use dselect with the APT backend, everything
> goes OK.  I'm not sure where the descrepancy lies.  (dselect wants to
> install perl, but apt-get dist-upgrade on its own doesn't.)

I've had something similar happen to me a while back which turned out
to be caused by dselect looking at Recommends: and Suggests: as well,
whereas apt only looked at Depends: and Pre-Depends:
Any chance you are seeing the same behaviour?
--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development