Re: Non-versioned install*lib directories

Brendan O'Dea <bod@debian.org> wrote:
>On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 06:55:19PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
>>I have a local package of a Perl program with a few attached modules,
>>which are version-independent (at least assuming you have >= 5.004). I'd
>>like to have these installed into /usr/lib/perl5 rather than any
>>versioned subdirectory, so that the same package will run on potato
>>systems. Previously I was using:
>>
>>  perl -MConfig -e 'print $Config{installprivlib}'
>>
>>... in debian/rules to get hold of this directory. With perl-5.004 and
>>perl-5.005, this returned /usr/lib/perl5; with perl-5.6, it returns
>>/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.
>
>Read the perl-policy document (/usr/share/doc/perl-5.6-doc/perl-policy*)
>which details how to build perl modules in §3.1.

Thanks - I'd read it before but had evidently been seeing what I wanted
to see. :)

I do think %Config used to make more sense than it does now (i.e. Perl
policy says I should set the INSTALLPRIVLIB variable to something that's
different to the value of $Config{installprivlib}), but I suppose I
shouldn't have been relying on it in the first place.