problems with pgperl

Dear all,

With the risk of exposing that I am new to this, I will tell you about
my problems with perl/pdl/pgperl.

I run potato which means that I have the following packages:

ii  perl-5.005     5.005.03-7.1   Larry Wall's Practical Extracting and
Report
ii  pgperl         2.15-2         perl interface to the pgplot plotting
librar
ii  pdl            2.005-4        The perl data language. Perl
extensions for

The problem I get is something like:

This module requires PGPLOT version 2.16 or later.
Please install/upgrade PGPLOTLOT (see the PDL/DEPENDENCIES file). at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 188.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/lib/mcstas/mcplotlib.pl
line 2.

Apparantly (considering that perl-pgplot is identical to pgperl), pdl
depends on a newer version pgplot than 2.15. Is there an easy way to
avoid this problem? I tried to install 2.17 on my own for example by
using alien on an rpm-file, but I ran into problems. For clarity, our
program worked fine with slink.

Best regards.

Per-Olof Åstrand