Re: Creating Debian dependencies while using CPAN?

Hello

[automatically creating package files from CPAN modules on the fly]
On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 10:40:04AM +0200, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> > 	Package: libnet-niceprotocol-perl
> > 	Dependencies: perl-5.005, ${dh_perldep_output}
> > then it would scan this blib directory and from this create a
> > /var/lib/dpkg/info/libnet-niceprotocol-perl.files, an assumation
> > on dependencies based on "use" and "require" lines and maybe some
> > postinst/preinst scripts and run them.
>
> "use" and "require" are often used for modules bundled with core
> perl. So you would get a lot of requirements for perl modules that
> will be be debian package.
No proble, we would then have perl-5.005 with a line
	Provides: perl-data::dumper, perl-strict, perl-math::bigint
Of course the nomenclature(sp?) of these dependencies would have to be
negotiated with the dpkg maintainers but there would surely be a way.

The program that creates the Debian package files from the CPAN downloaded
modules could of course know (due to a file in /etc provided by perl.deb)
which packages are "CORE" and omit them in the dependency line which
would save us some space as there are many modules in the CORE perl.

> Why not use the PREREQ_PM hash that is (or supposed to be) maintained
> in the Makefile.PL by perl module authors to tell CPAN what are the
> modules dependancies?
*Are* they really maintained by the upstream authors or just a
"can be used but all are too lazy"?
Anyways this is a good idea and could be used at least in addition.

bye,

  -christian-

P.S.: Wichert, do you as dpkg maintainer ever thought about merging
      CPAN capability into dpkg in some way (too avoid dozens of perl
      packages)? Was there a discussion about this yet with any results?
--
Christian Hammers    WESTEND GmbH - Aachen und Dueren     Tel 0241/701333-0
ch@westend.com     Internet & Security for Professionals    Fax 0241/911879