Perl 5.6

I was wondering if there was any news on packages for Perl 5.6.  I saw
"Darren/Torin/Who Ever"'s email back on June 4th, but it's already July
with no more news.  I'm not a Debian developer, but if the packages were
made available I'd be willing to test them out.  Hopefully, they would
install in an alternative location so that it won't kill my system, but
it should be relatively easy to remove it and reinstall 5.005, right?

I've downloaded and installed the source on my Solaris 7 boxes at work
and I need to run 5.6 at home also.  If "official" packages are not
forthcoming could anyone comment on any potential issues with
downloading the source and compiling into /usr/local?  If this is the
first directory in the path would that break existing Perl scripts, such
as any used by apt/dpkg/dselect?

Thanks,

Fred Reimer