Re: State of the Art wrt XML/XSL.

Fred Reimer wrote:
> Hmm, now I understand the complaints even more.  Seems like I can't
> install a debconf "module" under Perl 5.6.0 because there IS NO DEBCONF
> MODULE!  Why would someone want to hard code pathnames into the Makefile
> instead of providing a Makefile.pl just like everyone else?

Frankly, MakeMaker is the most obfuscated and rotten build system I've
ever seen, and that's saying a lot. I've futzed with autoconf and libtool.
Wrestled with configure and Imakefiles. Dealt with stuff that built out of a
shell script. All of it was more comprehensible than MakeMaker.

Now, I use MakeMaker when I have something for CPAN. But I hate its guts
with a flaming passion. It has eaten antire days of my life. Just try to
get it to do something its authors never envisioned. And when I can avoid
being a lemming, I will.

Anyway, debconf (of which I am the author, BTW) is a complete red herring.
Its modules are not for general use; they are tightly bundled with the
application, for a reason.

You don't HAVE to install a copy of debconf under perl 5.6, because:

/usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf

Perl 5.6 looks there, as do all other perl5's in Debian.

  Compile-time options: USE_LARGE_FILES
  Built under linux
  Compiled at Apr 18 2000 14:20:48
  @INC: