Scratching my head over Makefile.PL

I am not getting a grip here: I have some Perl code I would like to release
(both as a package, and outside of Debian as a tarball), and it consists of a
Perl module, as well as sample tool using it. From maintaining some Perl
packages, I know how to get the former where it belongs. I just don't get how
to tell Makefile.PL to install a script foo in $(PREFIX)/bin.

Is there someone here who get let me in on the scoop?  CC's welcome as I only
occasionally read this list via the web archive.

Thanks, Dirk

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless.