Re: After potato, Yet Another Perl Renaming

Moin Chip Salzenberg,

> I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but the Perl project
> is now using human-friendly version numbers like "5.5.1" instead of
> the old "5.005_01".  The code still looks the same, and in particular
> $] is still the same, but rpm and deb versions should be changed, as
> Larry observes:

  well the problem is that distribution of perl modules in Debian is
  broken in concept!

  - perl modules should be distributed in original form, to run the "perl
    Makefile.PL; make; make test; make install" step during postinst.

  - Debian specific perlmodules should be found on CPAN. So it shoule
    be possible to get rid of the Debian-Perl, to install an own one,
    and to install modules dpkg needs using the CPAN shell.

  e.g. debian perl is useless for any XML processing, as XML is using
  unicode and the "use utf8;" works fine from 5.00555 up. So people
  who need to use XML/perl now, have to get rid of the Debian-Perl,
  and most will get rid of dselect in the same step unfortunately :-(

  The same is to say to any other need for a non standard perl.

  So if we now need to adopt to a new version number schema, we should
  do it !RIGHT! else we need to do it any further time, till we do it
  right - and now we have the chance to do ;-)

Bye Michael
--
  mailto:kraehe@copyleft.de     	UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:1.2:13'UNZ+1'
  http://www.xml-edifact.org/		CETERUM CENSEO MSDOS ESSE DELENDAM