Re: Boot-Floppies: perl task package

* "Michael" == Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman-debian.perl@debian.org> wrote:

Michael> Description: A reasonably comprehensive perl development environment
Michael> Includes code for processing html, automating network connections with
Michael> most common protocols, accessing client-server (often SQL) databases,
Michael> creating GUIs and other bit slinging and string mangling.
Michael> .
Michael> Never leave home without your Swiss Army Chainsaw.

Looks good to me.

* "Raphael" == Raphael Hertzog <rhertzog@hrnet.fr> wrote:

Raphael> Well you could add libdbd-pg-perl for accessing a PostgreSQL database.
Raphael> Furthermore, one may want liblocale-gettext-perl to i18nize perl
Raphael> scripts. Perl/Tk (package perl-tk) is also fairly common in
Raphael> perl development.

Raphael> And if you use libgnome-perl I suppose that you'll need libgtk-perl.

On can include this to make the semantic clear, but technically, it is
not needed, as apt will pull it by itself.

* "Roderick" == Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> wrote:

Roderick> You didn't say what the task-perl list is supposed to
Roderick> embody.

This is why there is no description yet :-)

Actually, I like someone from the perl group to adopt the perl task
and define this.

Specifically, the boot floppies will look like:

"Do you want to select from some predefined package sets?"

No -> dselect (task-* packages still available)
Yes -> - configuring of sources.list
       - selection of tasks
       - automatic marking of important and required packages for
         installation (dpkg --set-selection)
       - calling apt-get install <selected tasks>

Maybe this helps to define the package. Or maybe package_s_. The
Python group will most likely split the task package into 2-3 logical
parts.

Roderick> I think a lot of the packages you've got on it are specialty
Roderick> modules, I wouldn't recommend them as part of a general Perl
Roderick> runtime or development environment.

This is exactly the input needed, thanks.

Roderick> I'd include at least these in that category:

Roderick> perl2html
Roderick> libdbi-perl
Roderick> libgnome-perl
Roderick> liblocale-gettext-perl
Roderick> libio-stringy-perl
Roderick> libipc-signal-perl
Roderick> libtime-period-perl
Roderick> libtimedate-perl
Roderick> libdelimmatch-perl
Roderick> libdbd-csv-perl
Roderick> libdbd-mysql-perl
Roderick> libfile-sync-perl
Roderick> libfile-tail-perl
Roderick> liblockdev0-perl

Roderick> I recommend removing them all.  That would leave:

Roderick> libcgi-perl
Roderick> libcompress-zlib-perl
Roderick> libdatecalc-perl
Roderick> libdevel-symdump-perl
Roderick> libdigest-md5-perl
Roderick> libhtml-parser-perl
Roderick> libhtml-tree-perl
Roderick> libmime-base64-perl
Roderick> libmime-perl
Roderick> libnet-dns-perl
Roderick> libnet-perl
Roderick> libnet-telnet-perl
Roderick> liburi-perl
Roderick> libwww-perl

Roderick> I think these are of general utility and interest.

OK, thanks. I ask explicitly again: Any takers for the perl task(s)?
You can use equivs (equivs-build) to convert the controlfile into a
working package, then change it to your needs, upload it into Incoming
and manage it afterwards. Manage = keep the list of dependancy current
and appropriate to the task.

Ciao,
	Martin