Re: ITP/RFP: libdevel-dprof-perl, libapache-dprof-perl

Moin Chip Salzenberg,

> According to David Huggins-Daines:
> > Please correct me if Devel::DProf is already packaged...  I was actually
> > quite shocked when I couldn't find a package of it anyway (installing it
> > from CPAN is a bit annoying because it tries to install dprofpp in /usr/bin
> > :P)
>
> Well,    perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/usr/local   could have helped you, I think.

  imho Debian-Perl is broken in concept!

  Perl adminstration is best done via CPAN shell and Autobundle. Unfortunetely
  none of the Debian specific modules can be found on CPAN (iirc), so its
  nearly impossible to develop with XML and Perl on a Debian System as "use
  utf8;" is working clean since 5.00555. But any dselect will make hours
  of perl installation and configuration for /dev/null :-( Also nearly any
  second dselect will make hand installed modules to drop working - this
  clearly justifies my above sentence.

  Its also not intended to use a Debian System with a perl completely
  in /usr/local, which may be usefull, if many staff members have to
  be able to install modules, without becoming root.

  imho any Debian distribution should contain a /usr/bin/cpan !

  Any Debian Perl packages should be in !source! format inside the
  debian tree (so the .deb file should run "perl Makefile.PL; make;
  make test; make install" ;-) instead of just copying some files!
  Any Debian specific packages that are needed for dselect/dpkg should
  also be available from cpan.org. This should allow any Linux to upgrade
  to Debian via CPAN!

  ( quite funny the idea to say : install Bundle::Debian-Migration, in
    a CPAN shell on a Red Hat system :-)

  This means that some packages (e.g. xml-perl.deb) may require the
  same CC installed as was installed, when the perl was build. So
  debian perl should be :

  base-perl-VERSION.deb (containing perl5-stable + basic-perl-bundles,
    provide and reload autobundle in pre and postinstall)
  xs-perl-VERSION.deb (containing depency to the CC base-perl was installed)
  xml-perl-VERSION.deb (depends on the generic xs-perl, not base-perl)
  foo-perl-VERSION.deb (depends on either xs-perl or base-perl)
  own-perl.deb (does !not! provide perl, conflicts with any other perl,
    provide and reload autobundle in pre and postinstall, will prompt
    for a path of new perl to build the /var/lib/dpkg/info/own-perl.list)

  Ok the only think I have to offer is own-perl.deb, and a profound knowledge
  about CPAN and MakeMaker (but own-perl.deb could be smarter, if debian would
  change its way of installing perl modules).

Bye Michael

PS : Devel::DProf is quite buggy before 5.00560 as told :-( But its a usefull
     tool that initialy improved performance of XML::Edifact by factor 12,
     within a nightshift of hacking. I now use it constantly to monitor
     development, and it sometimes still points to bad implementations :-)
--
  mailto:kraehe@copyleft.de     	UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:1.2:13'UNZ+1'
  http://www.xml-edifact.org/		CETERUM CENSEO MSDOS ESSE DELENDAM