Re: Debian packages to upgrade for the new perl(s)

On Thursday 1 July 1999, at 23 h 56, the keyboard of Raphael Hertzog
<rhertzog@hrnet.fr> wrote:

> Yes you're right, two solutions :
> - compile perl-5.004 and perl sources for slink and install the packages

This solution, as well as the dummy perl5 package for slink, means an explicit
action on the slink machine. For dupload, used mostly by Debin developers, it
is not a real problem. It is more difficult on other Perl packages.

> - make the package depends on : perl | perl5
>
> Sincerely I don't like the second option since it would be good to
> remove all references to perl.

[I don't know why, but it just means I did not read the Policy in detail.]

> But this is only a personal opinion and
> there are no technical facts that could justify my opinion ...

A new version now which depends on perl|perl5, then a new version which
depends on perl5 only, just before the release of potato?