Re: Debian packages to upgrade for the new perl(s)

On Thursday 1 July 1999, at 18 h 6,
Raphael Hertzog <rhertzog@hrnet.fr> wrote:

> If your package is a simple perl script, you will need to change
> the dependency to perl by a dependency to perl5.

If I understand correctly, it means my packages will no longer be installable
on slink, which has no "perl5".

If so, it is a BIG problem. I really want my packages to be installable on
slink (until the final release of potato) because most users will not want
(rightly) to upgrade to unstable. dupload, for instance, is a simple Perl
script, which is happy with any perl >= 5.003 and I don't want to produce a
package which will not be installable on slink, without a good reason.

Did I miss something? Any workaround? A dummy "perl5" package for slink?

> If you're using debhelper, you can now use dh_perl for automatically
> adding the good dependency. Simply put ${perl:Depends} in your
> control file and run dh_perl in your rules files.

I wish we could have that for Java :-{

--
http://www.debian.org/~bortz/