Re: testing release of Perl packages

John Lapeyre, in an immanent manifestation of deity, wrote:
>	I did apt-get install perl
>and this upgraded a bunch of perl-5.004 packages.  Then I did
>  apt-get install perl-5.005 .  This time, apt decided to install both
>perl-5.005 , and perl-5.005-base.  Unfortunatley, I didn't notice that it
>was going to remove all of the packages that depend on perl.  It removed 20
>or so before I noticed and stopped it.  Unfortunately, I need some of these
>packages, and I don't have an extra machine to play with.  Sorry I can't
>help testing further.

That's fine.  This is why it's experimental.  It should've told you that
it was removing the packages.  When I run it on a system that needs
those packages, I get:
{-}[100]~ broca# apt-get install perl-5.005 perl-5.005-base
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  perl-5.004-base perl-5.004 perl-base perl-5.004-debug
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libterm-readline-gnu-perl liblocale-codes-perl troffcvt libmd5-perl
  mysql-client libcurses-perl debhelper gnucash mailtools
  libcompress-zlib-perl w3mir libtime-hires-perl apache-common
  liburi-perl dns-browse libdelimmatch-perl libnet-rawip-perl
  amanda-common libnet-whois-perl perl mysql-dev perl-debug mysql-doc
  freewrl libgtk-perl debmake libnet-finger-perl libcgi-perl libdbi-perl
  rplay libdbd-mysql-perl libhtml-parser-perl gimp1.1 apache
  cgic-capture sysutils docbook-stylesheets mirror libterm-readkey-perl
  autoconf libconvert-ber-perl liblocale-maketext-perl checkbot
  procmail-lib pilot-link cvsweb libtime-period-perl
  libi18n-langtags-perl libxml-parser-perl libroman-perl
  libdbd-msql-perl libmsgcat-perl libcgicg1-dev dftp cvs-buildpackage
  pcd2html libipc-signal-perl cons libio-stringy-perl dist mysql-server
  libstorable-perl libxml-cgi-perl sgml-tools makepatch libnkf-perl mgp
  mon libfile-sync-perl libnet-dns-perl pdl libapache-mod-auth-sys
  info2www libparse-recdescent-perl libtext-format-perl pkg-order
  libprpc-perl liblockdev0-perl libdate-manip-perl libtimedate-perl
  dpkg-dev ssh man2html libmime-perl pilot-manager automake dwww
  libapache-mod-perl libdatecalc-perl psptools libunicode-string-perl
  libnet-perl satan libmime-base64-perl libxml-writer-perl mhonarc
  perl-byacc libproc-waitstat-perl fvwm-common libimage-size-perl
  sgml-data psgml libjcode-perl libapache-mod-roaming
  libhtml-embperl-perl libterm-readline-perl-perl libgd1g-tools perl-tk
  wu-ftpd-academ data-dumper xaw-wrappers libhtml-tree-perl
  kernel-package libwww-perl ssh-askpass mailagent lintian alien
  libcgicg1 weblint webmagick libnet-irc-perl amanda-client docbook
  libgd-perl libunicode-map8-perl
  perl-5.004-base perl-5.004 perl-5.005 perl-5.004-debug perl-5.005-base
1 packages upgraded, 5 newly installed, 126 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 5365kB of archives. After unpacking 60.0MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

Didn't this happen for you?

Darren