Re: Howdy!

Joe Emenaker said:
> Howdy All!
>
> I've got two HP Apollo 710 machines as well as an Apollo 815 that I'd be
> interested in putting some form of Linux on. My questions are:
>
> 1 - Is there (currently or intended) support for these platforms?
>
> 2 - How in the world do you install the OS? As I recall, with HP-UX, you
> had to have a boot tape or something. I presume that's not really a
> feasible option for most people here.
>
> 3 - How close are we to having something to test? (because my Apollo's
> aren't doing ANYTHING right now...)
>
> - Joe

Hi Joe.

The place to look for info at the moment is the main website for the
PA-RISC Linux port.

  http://thepuffingroup.com/parisc/

Your machines are supported AFAIK.

The easiest way to 'install' is booting the system from a remote kernel
image using bootp.  The remote image can include a ramdisk image (like the
old Debian install floppies) or (even better) you can now boot with an
NFS-mounted root partition.  So with an NFS server (doesn't even have
to be running Linux) on the network to provide a filesystem you're pretty
much set.

If your systems have HP/UX 10.20 or higher on them you may like to have
a go at building a kernel using the tools on the above site.  The
alternative is to (try to) build a cross-compiled kernel on another Linux
system.

As you might gather the project is still working on the very important stage
of getting the kernel running properly.  I may be wrong but I would say it's
still a little while before enough HP systems are running stably enough to
start worrying about userland & building Debian packages.  (Bdale might
rebutt me here.)  =)

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                http://www.neep.com.au/

  "Just remember Basil, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
  "Oh, really?  I'd like to meet him ... I could do with a good laugh."
                 [ Sybil and Basil Fawlty, "Fawlty Towers" ]