Re: Linux OS for schools

Hello Rolf,
Debian Outreachy is an internship program for people to work on Debian. What you're probably interested in is Debian(https://www.debian.org/), a GNU Linux distribution focused on stability and freedom as defined by the FSF (although there is a non free repository available if need be).
Debian is free to use and distribute and comes with a selection of 59,000 software packages that you can download to fit your needs.

Best,
Rishabh Tewari