Re: I want to contribute to debian

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 12:24 AM Apoorv Srivastava wrote:

> I wanted to get started with contribution to Debian. I am completely new to open source and am thinking to start my contribution in c or python, I am a first year undergraduate so I don’t have much advanced knowledge about either of the two languages but I am eager to learn. If you can help me get started it would be a great help.

In addition to the tips given by Jean-Philippe:

Since you are a student, the Google Summer of Code programme is a
great way to get involved, your next GSoC opportunity will be in 2020
though:

https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2019

At the moment we are going through the transition from Python 2 to
Python 3 so there is a lot of work to do porting software between the
two variants of Python.

https://wiki.debian.org/Python/2Removal
http://sandrotosi.me/debian/py2removal/

A great way to find opportunities to help with packages you use is to
install and run the how-can-i-help tool:

https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

A lot of Debian services are written in Python and need folks to contribute:

https://wiki.debian.org/Services

The Debian package manager (dpkg) is written in C:

https://www.dpkg.org/

There are some other ideas for different ways to contribute to Debian here:

https://www.debian.org/intro/help

--
bye,
pabs