Re: contribution

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 9:54 PM PATRICK HERMANN ZEUFACK wrote:

> Hello, my name is Patrick Zeufack, a young Cameroonian, computer science student. I work since the beginning of my studies with the debian distribution. and I would like you to accept me to the community. to contribute to the project, I think that will allow me to know more about open source and help me improve my level of programming. I program in java, python c and typescript.

Many people get involved in Debian through working on software or a
problem they are interested in, are blocked by for another project or
have another intrinsic motivation to work on. This is known as
"scratching an itch".

An increasingly popular method of getting involved is through the many
paid and unpaid internship programs, such as Summer of Code, which is
for students. The 2019 round of Summer of Code has finished for this
year, but if you are a student in 2020 it could be a good idea for you
to join. There are other internship programs too, most of them don't
have Debian involvement though.

https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2019
https://github.com/fossjobs/fossjobs/wiki/resources#internships

In the meantime, there are a number of different ways to get involved
in Debian, both technical and otherwise:

https://www.debian.org/intro/help

If you want to help with packaging, installing and running the
how-can-i-help tool will find packages on your system that need
adopting or other help. It also finds tasks suitable for newcomers in
Debian services.

https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

A number of different parts of Debian are written in C, in particular
dpkg, the Debian package manager. In addition there is lots of
software written in C in Debian, some of which can be found via
debtags.

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg
https://debtags.debian.org/search/?wl=&q=implemented-in%3A%3Ac&qf=default
https://debtags.debian.org/reports/taginfo/implemented-in::c

The Debian JavaScript team would likely welcome help maintaining
node-typescript and improving the developer experience for working on
typescript codebases using Debian.

https://wiki.debian.org/Javascript

If you are interested in helping with packages written in Python and
Java, the corresponding teams always need help.

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/PythonModulesTeam
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/PythonAppsPackagingTeam
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/JavaPackaging

A number of different Debian services are written in Python, probably
most of them at this point.

https://wiki.debian.org/Services

For more specific guidance the Debian mentors chat channel should be
able to help based on questions they might ask about your interests
etc.

https://wiki.debian.org/IRC
ircs://irc.oftc.net/debian-mentors
https://webchat.oftc.net/?channels=debian-mentors