Re: Getting Started with Debian Project for GSoC 2019

Hi Medha,

On 11/21/18 12:04 PM, Medha Kant wrote:
> Hi
> I am a Computer Science BTech Student in my sophomore year and I am looking forward to contributing towards the Debian Project. I don’t know where to start from. I have good familiarity with Java, C/C++ and Python. Please help me out.

Next years GSoC is still in a very early phase, but lets hope Debian
will participate again ;)
To get an idea about the ideas that might be interesting for Debian as
part of GSoC, you can have a look at the last years projects, they are
listed on https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2018 and in the GSoC
archive on https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/
You can also look through the archives of this list, i think there were
already some mails with ideas for next years GSoC.
I can also recomment the recording of the GSoC session of this years
DebConf
https://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/debian-meetings/2018/DebConf18/2018-07-31/gsoc-session.webm

There is also the help page https://www.debian.org/intro/help listing
various resources pointing you to different areas where you can
contribute to Debian.

If you want to do something wit Java, you can have a look at the
Wikipage of the Java packaging team
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/JavaPackaging. There are also teams for
packaging python-modules and python apps:
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/PythonModulesTeam and
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/PythonAppsPackagingTeam

If you want to help fixing bugs, there is a "newcomer" tag, which lists
bugs that are ideal for new contributors to get involved in Debian:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=newcomer

cheers,
Birger