Re: Project Proposal Review

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 04:59:27AM +0100, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 2:34 AM, Jacob Adams <tookmund@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I was asked on IRC to review the current project proposals for GSoC
> > 2018 and see how robust they are, i.e. how clear and understandable
> > the requirements are to a prospective student.
>
> Maybe it is a bit early, since there are about 2 months untill the time
> when students could start to apply for them.

Feedback from the team at Google that run GSoC is very clear that the
quality of an org's ideas list and particularly how it looks to
prospective students is a very important factor when they come to
select which orgs to accept from the many that apply each year.

That selection process starts when org applications close, which is on
January 23rd, i.e. a little under a week away as I write.

So now is the ideal time to be trying to get the project ideas list
into good shape.

Even if that wasn't the case, students will start looking at the
accepted orgs and deciding which to apply to from February 12th even if
they can't actually submit an application until a month later.

> > https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2018/Projects/OwnMailbox
> > There's still some template text here and the requirements are unclear.
>
> The mentor is going to provide the details soon, don't worry about it.

I would suggest that any incomplete entries should be removed or
commented out if not fixed soon - the mentors of any such projects can
still re-add them later once they've improved them.

Cheers,
    Olly