want to participate in google summer of code 2017

Hi,
I am a student of computer science and engineering. I want to participate in google summer of code 2017. I know fundamentals of computer science and programming.can anyone suggest me how I can start contributing in debian projects?as I mentioned I know programming but really don't know how to put pieces together to make a software or some feature of the software.can anyone suggest me some article or material that can help me?