Re: QA python3-unittest2

Hi,

On 1/10/24 12:27, Alexandre Detiste wrote:
Hi,

I'm busy with the (tentative-) removal of python3-unittest2.

unitest2 is an old version of what has become "unittest.mock" in the
standard library

90% of dependencies are stale and only need a quick edit of debian/control
for the other I submit patches upstream

Will you also send patches to upstream OpenStack? If so, please note that OpenStack uses Gerrit, and you need to follow the instructions detailed here for a new account:
https://docs.openstack.org/contributors/en_GB/common/accounts.html

I'd strongly recommend sending patches upstream rather than in downstream Debian packages only. The next OpenStack release (codename: Caracal) is due for April, so if you send patches upstream now, it's going to be in Debian soonish.

One of the reason is that upstream runs a full functional CI on every commit, while the Debian packages are only running unit tests. I do run the functional tests kind of manually myself, but that's de-corelated from individual package testing.

Can I get (minimal) Salsa team membership for this one task ?

maybe also checking for python3-mock & python3-six at the same time.

Note that upstream OpenStack has been actively removing the Six dependency, and they'll be very happy to have some kind of help finishing the work.

As for Mock, probably also.

I do not plan to do any upload of these packages and more generally
I do not even fully grasp what OpenStack is about.

I don't think it's technically needed to so.

I can maybe handle just this urgent one
#1059108 [i|P|♔] [src:gnocchi] gnocchi: please remove extraneous
dependency on python3-future

This has been dealt with already (by myself...) in Debian, and even merged upstream (3 weeks ago):
https://github.com/gnocchixyz/gnocchi/pull/1366

It looks like I only forgot to upload, which I just did today.

python3-unittest2:
"""""""""""""""""""""""
designate-dashboard
keystone
mistral
murano-agent
neutron
python-django-compressor
python-funcsigs
python-jenkins
python-kafka
python-linecache2
python-novaclient
python-oauth2client
python-pecan
python-pymysql
sahara-dashboard
senlin-dashboard
testresources
trove-dashboard

Best for these, IMO, would be to push the change upstream. I'd very much prefer if you could do this, and just open bugs in the Debian BTS (linking to your patch upstream), and I'll work on fixing the packages myself. Is that ok if we do like this?

python3-six:

#1053966 [n|  |  ] [python3-ironic-ui] python3-ironic-ui: please
remove extraneous, obsolete, dependency on python3-six
#1054151 [n|  |  ] [python3-neutron-vpnaas] python3-neutron-vpnaas:
please remove obsolete python3-six dependency
#1060114 [n|  |↝] [src:python-txaio] python-txaio: please remove
extraneous dependency on python3-six

I have just pushed these on Debian, so these are closed. Thanks for pushing me to do the actual work! :)

(so not these ones, unless requested)
#1052512 [n|  |  ] [src:python-pysaml2] python-pysaml2: please package
v7.4.2 and remove python3-six dependency
#1053378 [n|  |  ] [src:python-gabbi] python-gabbi: please package
v2.10.0 and remove dependency on python3-six

For these, I'm planning to do them when Caracal is released (ie: this spring), if you don't mind.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)