Re: Maintaining OVS closer together?

Hi Christian,

On 2/22/21 7:49 AM, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> Hi,
> due to my work with most of you I was asked if we could further unite
> our efforts to co-maintain OVS in the future. Right now there is an
> Ubuntu [1] and a Debian [2] repository.
> And these days with 2.15 being released so close to both our
> Distro-freezes we have not identical, but pretty similar uploads in
> our Archives.
>
> AFAIK James already has push permissions on [1] and I wondered if we
> could further combine our efforts. Looking back how this worked for
> DPDK we first shared the repository (having Ubuntu branches on Debian
> repo which made it easier to cross-cherry pick). And then over time we
> converged into one master stream where both branch off for releases
> if/as-needed. Therefore my suggestion to start with this would be: to
> first grant the Ubuntu people that work on OVS in Ubuntu push access
> to the Salsa repository (to keep our branches there).
>
> I know we both have releases to complete first, but going forward this
> should help all of us.
> Obviously all that is up for discussion, so let me know what you think!
>
> [1]: https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-server-dev/ubuntu/+source/openvswitch
> [2]: https://salsa.debian.org/openstack-team/third-party/openvswitch

I very much welcome such effort. Thanks for opening the discussion.

The only thing that changes between the 2 distro, is that I'm not using
pristine-tar, but using "git archive" to generate the tarball. This can
be mitigated by keeping the same workflow, but committing the tarball to
the pristine-tar branch for Ubuntu people (and I will simply skip that
part for Debian, leaving pristine-tar and upstream branches for Ubuntu).

The current annoying part, is that upstream does have a debian folder
that's part of the upstream sources. I wonder if we could convince them
to move that to a separate branch... I've added Ben Pfaff as CC, to see
if he can do something about it.

If both Ubuntu and Debian package are very similar, that's because I
made the effort to follow the packaging lead from Ubuntu as much as
possible, reducing the differences.

Currently, the thing that's missing in the Debian packaging is the
support for OVN. Someone already sent me a patch to add it, but I don't
think it's good enough. Then we would need to add an OVN package in Debian.

Since we both have differences (like debian/control and
debian/changelog), what we could do is working on a common branch not
named after the OpenStack releases (which is what I track in Debian) or
the Ubuntu releases, and then we can both merge/cherry-pick from that
common branch. Does this seem reasonable?

Your thoughts?
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)