Adjusting environment variables / viewing LO help

Dear team,

I ran into trouble when trying to display help under LO 7 (from
buster/backports).

Following the switch to HTML help, help invocation causes LO to spawn
(probably through xdg-open) a browser, which is pointed to a file in /tmp,
which in turn redirects to /usr/share/libreoffice/help.

My problem is that I am also using firejail with the browser (firefox-esr)
and the default profile of firejail for firefox uses a "private /tmp",
making the 'help redirection file' created by LO inaccessible to the
browser.

Simple whitelisting is not possible (the 'help redirection file' is created
inside a random named directory) and giving up the "private /tmp" is
something I would like to avoid if possible.

A way out would be to make LO create such temp files somewhere else, in a
location with a predictable (and preferably configurable) name and
whitelisting that one. It works from the command line by prepending a
properly set TMPDIR, but this is difficult to achieve since there are quite
many ways of invoking LO: libreoffice, lowriter, localc, soffice, .desktop
files, mailcap, ...

I tried to set TMPDIR from within /etc/libreoffice/soffice.sh, but that
does not seem to have any effect (temp files are still being created in
/tmp, which is the default setting). I failed to find any detailed
information on LO invocation in Debian and the relevant systemwide config
files.

I have no clear idea whether the above behaviour is a desired one or a bug.
In order to avoid a useless bugreport, I would like to ask you - and
perhaps also ask for a brief help (or a docs pointer) regarding where to
set TMPDIR for LO systemwide. Thank you!

Regards,

Phil