Re: LibreOffice font and icon package dependencies

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 09:01:41PM +0400, Yousuf Philips wrote:
> I volunteer with the libreoffice design team and have recently been looking
> at its font selection. So i looked at the libreoffice package in ubuntu and
> wanted to suggest some changes be made related to fonts.
>
> * Liberation Fonts (fonts-liberation) are the default fonts used in
> libreoffice so they should be set to be a required dependency of libreOffice
> core (libreoffice-core), rather than a recommended dependency in the
> libreoffice meta package (libreoffice).

No, they shouldn't. LO doesn't NEED them. That's what Depends: are for.
One doesn't need fonts-liberation for LO being working. One could choose
an other font. And be it proprietary Arial.

(And note Recommends are handled as Depends per default by apt.)

> * Deja Vu Fonts (fonts-dejavu) and Gentium Fonts (fonts-sil-gentium-basic)
> are set as required package of the meta package when they should be required
> package of libreoffice core, as it is possible to install selected parts of
> libreoffice without using the meta package.

Yes. And those admins who do that should know what they do. Or install the
fonts separately.

Otherwise: Same as above.

The current package Recommends come out of

> * C-Fonts (fonts-crosextra-caladea, fonts-crosextra-carlito), MS Core Fonts
> (ttf-mscorefonts-installer) and Linux Libertine Fonts (fonts-linuxlibertine)
> should be set as recommended dependencies for libreoffice core.

# apt-cache show libreoffice-common | grep Recomm
Recommends: fonts-liberation | ttf-mscorefonts-installer, python3-uno (>= 4.4.0~beta2), libexttextcat-data

At least partly done.

I buy your reasoning that people want some sort of Liberation or the MS core
fonts, that's why -common (arch-indep, so better matching) *already* Recommends it.

(See also https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=747132.)

For the C fonts they are Recommends of the metapackage. I think making them
being installed everywhere is a overkill.

> * TDF builds of libreoffice since 4.0 ship with additional fonts like Open
> Sans, PT Serif, Source Code Pro and Source Sans Pro, but i didnt see
> packages for any of these.

Yes, so get them packaged. Not LOs job. It's not even LOs job to ship fonts.

See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=827911

> When it comes to icons, 5.3 will be shipping a breeze dark icon theme which
> when packaged should have a dependency for the standard breeze icon theme,
> similar to sifr.

No, it actually should be in the -style-breeze itself as it's a breeze variant.
That's already done in git.

Regards,

Rene