Re: LibreOffice / Impress stable is unusable

Hi,

I don't think we should keep this private, debian-openoffice is the Maintainer
of the package and this should be discussed there.

On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 01:26:41AM +0100, ladybug wrote:
> > You are the first one since it was released with stable in April:
> > https://www.debian.org/News/2015/20150426
> >
> > if it was a general problem there would be far more reports (also before,
> > when this version was still in testing before/in the freeze:
>
> Mabe, but couldn't it also mean, too little a number of persons are
> using plain Debian + LibreOffice Impress? As this is not one of the

Nah.

> end-users's favorite choices, and merely advanced users tend to install
> plain Debian, those maybe prefer to install or even compile their own

Which is a bug imho - and no, they won't compile it themelves. They either
can't and get stuck or the don't have the patience. And if they do they surely
will have some hard time :)

If, they will install 5.x from backports :)

> version. Other from that, it still could be, there're some
> inconsistencies in my system, of course.

Yes, maybe, though there is _some_ crashers in 4.3.3 for sure. Some I think
we nay fix in stable but ther was no opportunity for that so far for various
reasons (and I fear it will get difficult to do given the requirements..)

But not to the extend it makes Impress unusable.

Will try on my laptop running stable, though.

> > Sure. Going back to whatever version or upggrading to whatever new version
> > is what we are going for stable. NOT. (stable also means "non-changing")
>
> I agree to that, as long as the versions provided really are stable
> (means: without major bugs, but not the latest and greatest). Otherwise,

That is why we ship 4.3.3 and not some really new thingy. That said, yes,
we tried to be on top of the tree. When jessie freezed 4.3.3 afaicr was the
most uptodate release. The choice would be to have a (potentially even more
buggy and obsolete) 4.2.x in stable.

Anyway, that train left already. You cannot change the version now.

> there's an hotfix-update required (or a rollback, if none is availible).

Rollback to what? 3.5.4? As said, this version was in stable from the
beginning.

> This is also common practise in most application's production releases.

And you have no idea how a distribution works :)
Especially one which doesn't jump on new versions immediately.

> >> Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> >> 0x00007ffff49d1060 in SfxItemSet::GetItemState(unsigned short, bool, SfxPoolItem const**) const () from /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/libsvllo.so
> >> #0  0x00007ffff49d1060 in SfxItemSet::GetItemState(unsigned short, bool, SfxPoolItem const**) const () from /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/libsvllo.so
> >> #1  0x00007fffcfc7a07c in ?? () from /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/../program/libeditenglo.so
> >
> > Do you have libreoffice-dbg installed?
>
> Sorry, no, it's over 3gb additional disk space...

Then do. This is needed to get a meaningful backtrace. (I don't believe
upstream will care, though, 4.3.x is long out of support, as will be 4.4.x
shortly..)

Regards,

Rene