Re: LibreOffice version

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 09:45:31AM +0900, rost52 wrote:
> I saw on the Debian LibO page http://packages.qa.debian.org/libr/libreoffice.html that 3.5.4 is
> "stable",
> 4.1.6.2 is "testing" and 4.2.4-2 is "unstable".

Those are the Debian "releases".

Where only stable is the "real" Debian release, the rest is just intermediate
development versions.

https://www.debian.org/releases/

> LibO released about a week ago 4.2.4-2 (I use it on

No, it released 4.2.4. Anyways, yes, I know and that was uploaded on that exact day.

> Asking about the "age" of LibO at the Linux Mint forum, I was advice that the Debian maintainer
> decide on newer releases after testing and was also given the link
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/libr/libreoffice.html.

And it still follows the standard Debian release process.

> Now please allow me some questions:
> 1-Why are the versions 3.5.4 called "stable", 4.1.6.2 "testing" and 4.2.4-2 is "unstable" at the
> Debian page?

Because debian stable contains 3.5.4. This was because it was released
already 1 year ago (4 May 2013) and was though alonger freeze before that.
And 3.6.x missed that (yes, I was conservative and didn't upload it in time.)

Debian testing currently contains 4.1.6
and Debian unstable currently contains 4.2.4.

Period.

(I uploaded 4.2.x to unstable quite late becasue I wanted 4.1.6 in there and migrate to testing first)

Testing at some time (I am working on it - will be updates to 4.2.x, see
https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/ and
https://www.debian.org/devel/testing. And unfortunately 4.2.x is not
yet ready in that criteria..)

> 2-When can I expect that the LMDE will be updated to 4.2.4.2?

I've no idea how LMDE selects of what it syncs from. Ask them. Not me.
This is Debian, not LMDE.

> 3-Is there a way that I can be of help?

Unlikely, given you don't understand the basics of Debians
releases :)

Regards,

Rene