Re: sensible-lomua patch patch ping

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 01:11:13PM -0400, Dave Steele wrote:
>
>> The Debian LibreOffice sensible-lomua patch defines the default mail
>> handler, by going through a predefined list of MUA's in a set order,
>> and setting the mailer to the first one found on the system. In
>> practice, this means that "Send Document by Email" invokes Evolution,
>> regardless of which mailer may be configured by the user.
>
> If you have evolution installed and didn't manually set the option yourself
> in the options, yes.

The point is that I should be able to configure the mailer in GNOME,
instead of in LibreOffice (and whatever other applications).

>> Starting in 3.6, senddoc.sh handles mailers that it does not
>> understand by executing xdg-open (or another of its ilk) with a mailto
>> URL. This allows the desktop to manage which mailer is to be used.
>
> Ah.
>
> But what happens if xdg-utils isn't installed?

senddoc.sh also checks for and uses kde-open or gnome-open. As the
developer of a smaller MUA (gnome-gmail), I'd prefer a LibreOffice
strategy of searching for mailto: handlers, rather than checking for
mail handlers sorted by popularity.

>> The attached patch amends sensible-lomua.diff to make 'sensible-lomua'
>> an undefined case in senddoc.sh, in effect making xdg-open the default
>> MUA interface.
>
> The attached patch is nonsense, sorry.
> Why not fix sensible-lomua.diff instead instead of adding a new patch which in fact
> removes sensible-lomua.diff?

It's a mess, granted. I had some difficulty setting up the work
environment. This was the easiest way for me to define the changes.

It doesn't remove the whole sensible-lomua patch - just the
modifications to senddoc.sh. "sensible-lomua" is still the configured
mailer, but it is not defined in senddoc, invoking the 'unknown
mailer' code.

> But I see the point of this patch..
>
> But we probably should check for xdg-open, use it if there and if not, do what
> we have already?

That would meet my needs. Note that senddoc does not have a case for
e.g. xdg-open. You would need to define a bogus mailer if xdg-open is
found. The patch should probably also check for kde-open and
gnome-open - see the senddoc.sh *) case.

> Regards,
>
> Rene

Thanks for the prompt reply.