OpenOffice cross compile question

Dear Debian OpenOffice team,

I have a quick non-Debian related question for you, but one that I
think you're uniquely positioned to answer.

I've been attempting to cross compile OOo for armel on my x86_64
platform, but after much labor I found that my cross compile
environment was completely ignored and that the packages ended up
being compiled for x86_64 anyway.  For those who are curious, I've
been using Nokia's Scratchbox environment for compiling packages for
the Nokia internet tablet's Maemo platform, which is a heavily
customized downstream project derived from Debian.  When I explained
what happened on the OOo IRC channel, a dev told me that they always
do all native builds, even on ARM, and that OOo ignores many cross
compile variables.

I don't know the details of how it works (all I have to do is login to
Scratchbox's custom shell), I assume something with paths, so I don't
know what variables are important or not.  Clearly "--host" isn't an
option, so how do you all manage to cross compile OOo, or do you also
do native builds?

Thanks,
Ersin Akinci

--