Re: OpenOffice.org plans for the squeeze cycle

Hi,

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 02:41:06PM +0200, Marc Brockschmidt wrote:
> * Which major upstream releases of OO.org are expected in the next two
>   years? Which of those are material for Debian stable, which might be a bit
>   flaky?

The next two years from now?

OOo 3.2.0 (planned End of Noiv. 2009)
OOo 3.2.1 (End of Feb, 2010?)
OOo 3.3.0 (planned End of May, 2010)
etc.

.0s should be avoided for Debian stable, the are almost always full of
bad bugs/regressions, as we see e.g. in 3.1.0, too.

> * How much time do you usually need from a new upstream release of OO.org
>   to a stable Debian package in unstable?

stable or a package in unstable? Generally it cannot be said, but
you need to always look what upstream broke again for distributions.
That simply cannot be answered.

(It does not help that I didn't yet have any serious look on OOo 3.2 yet)

> * How many "big" transitions will the upcoming changes cause? When should those
>   happen? Can we do something to make them easier?

I am not aware of any, but you never know with Sun. (The last one was with
OOo 3.0.1, and it was just started *right now*, because I wasn't able until
now because of other transitions OOo is in)

Depends on how the trademark policy Sun is currently discussing will be;
we even must either rename our packages to go-oo* or switch our packages
to the "vanilla" packages, which will eventually cause us "bastardizing"
features.

Grüße/Regards,

Rene
--
 .''`.  René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: D03E3E70