Re: Configuration management

> > able to figure out was how to do this correctly in Debian. Copy an
> > ~/.openoffice.org2 template to /etc/openoffice? Parts of it? Something
> > completely different?
>
> You can deploy a extension with the configuration data. See
> openoffice.org-ctl-he for an example.

Thanks for the pointer. Do you perhaps know of tools/docs describing
the process of [changed menu settings] -> [changed ~/.openoffice2
files] -> correct .xcu files?

What place would you suggest for these configuration extensions?
openoffice.org-ctl-he places its .zip into
/usr/share/openoffice.org-ctl-he. To me, it seems that the user has to
actively find and install this extension for him/herself, if they want
to use it. Which again makes it difficult from the admins point of
view. Is there any possibility of reading this in automatically? Any
scriptable solution would help as well.

> Otherwise: yes, OOo seems to have the ability to have a second layer in
> /etc overriding what's in /usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry (and maybe
> config/, too) but last I tried it it crashed when using this, so I never
> implemented it for the packages.

When did you try? Any chance of this getting some attention upstream?

A personal note: I seem to generally have trouble with configuring
beasts like ooo, mozilla etc. To me, it seems that it is easy for the
developer to find where to read configuration from and where to save
it to easily, but difficult for the admin to find out what and where
to write in order to change the options he wants to. Can you see
anything I am missing? Thinking problem?

Regards,

Radim