Re: Configuration management

Hello,

> > Thanks for the pointer. Do you perhaps know of tools/docs describing
> > the process of [changed menu settings] -> [changed ~/.openoffice2
> > files] -> correct .xcu files?
>
> eh? Look at the example. Just add the snippets you need. Use your
> favourite editor and look. If you want to look what to change, what
> about a diff of a .openoffice.org2 before/after you configured it in the
> UI?

That is what I did, but... An example to demonstrate what I mean:

When I change just one simple setting (Writer-Tools-Options: whether
to remove personal info from documents on saving), the config dir diff
yields
- the obviously appropriate change in
user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xcu (boolean value)
- but also 2 other changes in
user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Views.xcu and
user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Setup.xcu

Which leaves me with the problem whether to include these changes or
not. And with the worries about how difficult more complex settings
will be.

I don't want to complain, I just would like to find out whether there
is some documentation on this (reverse engineering is error-prone and
not very efficient). If there isn't any, I other people might have the
same problem - and if any of the developers/maintainers would be
willing to help (briefly explain, perhaps correct afterwards), I am
perfectly willing to write a (mini)howto or something similar.

> Eh? You obviously didn't look close enough to the package. It has a
> postinst registering the extension.

Oops... Sorry. Tired, not my primary concern... Tx for the hints.

> > > Otherwise: yes, OOo seems to have the ability to have a second layer in
> > > /etc overriding what's in /usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry (and maybe
> > > config/, too) but last I tried it it crashed when using this, so I never
> > > implemented it for the packages.
> >
> > When did you try? Any chance of this getting some attention upstream?
>
> Don't remember anymore. 2.1? 2.2.0?
> I'll try to figure it out from the pasts IRC logs where we discussed
> that....

Don't worry about this. I just wanted to make sure it is not an old
info from 1.x

> Yes, you are using programs with suck at global configurations. No news.

Hm. Hoped for optimism. Bad luck. :-)

Have a nice weekend,

Radim