Writer spell check problem and crash with poor recovery

Hi all

Debian Etch running OOo2.04
Wrote a document and had saved previously. Worked on it again today for several hours. Went to save it in a *.doc format and the whole program crashed. Auto recovery only recovered what had previously been saved - nothing that had been worked on today.

Have looked in .openoffice2/user/backup and nothing there. Only have (apparently) binary files in /tmp which cannot be read by any editor (vi, joe, gedit, kate, ee).

Prior to this, spell-check had stopped working: neither manual nor as-you-write checks working despite proper dictionaries set up.

Not sure if these are connected.

1. How can I recover the missing data off of the crashed document
2. What caused this and how do I prevent its re-occurrence
3. What gives with the spell-check

Thanks