Re: Unnecessary dependencies?

Hi,

Christopher Hagar wrote:
> Is there not some way to only require these libraries when those features
> are used or enabled so that it does not need to be a strict dependency in
> the package?

Well, I could split the dav ucp out to a -webdav but that would really
be overkill.

Analogous for gstreamer (which already was asked on a bugreport - #386936),
it would be possible to split that component out but then people will
wonder why their audio stuff do not work..
Unless they install that package

Or I make it a dependency of openoffice.org then (also -neon) and the
point would be moot for people just apt-get install'ing openoffice.org.
And both libraries neither are big nor do they have much redepends.

neon: libneon26 -> libc6, libcomerr2, libkrb53, libssl0.9.8, libxml2, zlib1g
libgstreamer0.10-0: libc6, libglib2.0-0, libxml2
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0: libc6, libglib2.0-0, libgstreamer0.10-0, libxml2

libc6 is essential, libcomerr2 is required and on every system, too
(e2fsprogs). Same with zlib1g (zlib).
libkrb53 is small and only depends on libc6 and libcomerr2.
libssl is a bit bigger (but also not big) and depends on libc6, libcomerr2
and also zlib1g (see above). And you rprobably have it on your system
anyway because of other SSL-using apps.
libxml2 is used by OOo anyway. libglib2.0-0, too (by ooqstart). And you
probably also have it on your system by other libxml2/glib-using apps.

Gr�gards,

Ren�-
 .''`.  Ren�ngelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73
   `-   Fingerprint: 41FA F208 28D4 7CA5 19BB  7AD9 F859 90B0 248A EB73