Oo crashes on startup

I am using stable and Oo worked the last time I used it,
which could have been a couple of months ago.

Writer will load but there is a missing menu on the left
side, then the window crashes and disappears.  Oo will load,
but the menus are incomplete and then it crashes.  Setup
will not load at all.  Sometime I will see a message that
a lock file is present, but when look it's not there.

I tried reinstalling Oo and it seems a little worse now.

The only error message I could see was something about
locales, but I think I fixed that.

I have read README.Debian.gz and tried everything I could
understand.  I also searched the list.  Every fix I saw on
the list seems to be okay here.

I tried moving the font.  I uninstalled everything that
looked unnecessary.  I can't remember what else.

Basically it just loads and crashes.  And even though I've
been using Debian for about 7 years, I have no idea what
is causing the problem.

Does anyone know what might have changed and how I can fix it?

  Larry