Re: two OOo orig.tar.gzs?

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:25:35PM +0100, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> now that the OpenOffice.org help is buildable with free Java (gcj/gij) I
> want to move it to main (it's currently in contrib because it to now it
> needed non-free jars and Sun/Blackdown/IBM Java to build.
>
> But there's some fundamental problem here: the increased buildtime and
> space requirements.

> [...] a buildtime for near 24h even on my Xeon 2.4Ghz 2GB RAM (with the OOo equivalent
> of make -j2).....  [...] the initial upload is 608 MB [...]  every
> upload in which you may only have changed stuff which affects the
> binaries and the "normal" arch-indep packages makes it a upload size
> of around 411 MB (- orig.tar.gz).

This is... extreme. So the .orig.tar.gz is roughly 200M.

> That's when the idea to split it was born. The idea is to split it into
> an openoffice.org and a openoffice.org-l10n sourcepackage, both
> unfortunately needing the same orig.tar.gz since for building the
> langpacks you need to build the whole of OOo anyway with the same
> patchset.

Hm, so the help is dependent on the OO.o build.

> openoffice.org then should build the "normal" arch-dep and arch-indep
> packages (maybe including -help-en-us, but that also can be built from
> l10n, -l10n-en-us is planned to go away and be merged back into -common)
> and the language packs and the localized helps from openoffice.org-l10n,
> decreasing the upload size of fixes not affecting the (localized) help
> or the langpacks and also increasing the build time for "openoffice.org"
> since not every language and the helpcontent2 for it is built anymore.
>
> The decision to copy the source package has the disadvantage of
> additional disk space for the .orig tarball, but improves both build
> time and the size of single uploads (assuming that the -l10n package
> is uploaded less often). In the end, this reduces the amount of data
> which needs to be handled by mirrors. The total space used for binary
> packages will be the same, as we are able to remove the
> openoffice.org-help-* from contrib and will not be the full source
> tarball size difference again since we already have a stripped-down
> orig.tar.gz for the help in contrib. Before you ask, no I would like
> to *not* use that since that one isn't integrated into the regular OOo
> building, translation update etc scheme we have in Debian and is and
> will be maintainance nightmare if it stays like it.

Hm, duplicate sources seem like quite a hack to me, and a potentially
fragile at that. A hack taking 200M of archive space. Sure, each upload
will cause extra space to be used temporarily, but on new upstream
version, this will only increase with duplicate sources.

The bottom line seems to be that OO.o has insane disk and build-time
requirements. Assuming those themselves cannot be resolved
significantly, and realizing that the very-long build-time is mostly due
to the help stuff that's arch:all, and thus not involving buildds, I
think the sources should not be split, and simply good care should be
taken to ensure there will be no gratuitous OO.o uploads, to reduce
burden on mirrors.

I'd really like to urge the OO.o team to look into reducing these
requirements fundamentally though.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar