Re: PPC Bleeding Edge Builds

Hi,

dr allan wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone was working on  something similar to what is
> going on at http://people.debian.org/~halls/openoffice/ That would be
> x86 bleeding edge builds of OOo for Debian 3.1. I am looking for

These are no bleeding edge builds. They are old.

If you mean OOo2, you won't be able to build it on pure sarge if you
want the Java features (unless you use non-free Java). simple.

Since I have a iBook, I regularily build on ppc, too and even my
preliminary debs I uploaded have ppc:
http://people.debian.org/~rene/openoffice.org/1.9.x.

The current ones may be installable on sarge (except -officebean) but as
sid evolves this probably won't stay.

> someone doing the like, just for PPC. If there is no one out there
> working on this I was looking to start.

You'd need do do a sarge backport, You'd need to either build without
Java (which will remove some features and introduce some bugs, and in
faxt isn't yet supported by the Debian package builds anymore, but can
be readded if you help and probably should be done some time but
getting it in shape for sid should be the first priority) or build with
some sid packages installed which may cause runtime deps not fullfillable on
sarge :)

If you mean OOo 1.1.x, 1.1.4-3 should be installable on sarge, further
versions may have the dependency problems again but in that case just a
recompilation on sarge should work.

Regards,

Rene