Re:Java and OpenOffice.org

Was searching for  current info in java support in openoffice.
I'm not subscribed sorry about messing up the thread.
I'm not a developer but it's important to me and our organization.

I'm it manager for a non-profit charitable organization. Were switching to Debian from redhat primarily because of the better quality of the distribution.

Really like the the Debian openoffice packages other than for the lack of java support. The big issue is jdbc support. At some point will need to do what ever needs to be done to resolve the problem. It would be nice to have switches in the source package so one can build with java support.

John
I'm working on an article about the decision to use Java in
OpenOffice.org. The article will include both positive and negative
opinions, and talk about how it affects repackagers of OOo, and how they
are planning on handling the situation.

If possible, I'd like to get a quote about how Debian plans to respond.
By putting together a Java-free package? By using a free implementation
of Java? By some other means? Since Debian is a distribution that is
more dedicated than most to free software, I'm especially eager to hear
how it is approaching the issue.

And if anyone on the Debian OpenOffice Team would care to make other
comments, I'd appreciate hearing them, by all means.