Re: OOo 2.0 rc, and current status

Rene Engelhard wrote:

Hi,

David A. Cobb wrote:
I guess I need to start with, "Is anyone here awake?" I see that

No, the question here is where you were the last months.
OK. Any of the months from June 2004 through February 2005, mostly trying to get a stable and working Debian installation in place of Windoze. Problems have to do mostly with nVidia hardware, and getting used to the
way apt does things so I don't shoot my foot completely off.

I only discovered the page and the working group by way of the "back-door." That is, through the OpenOffice.org page on Installing for Linux. As it is, I would not have read that except for the 2.0 _beta_ announcement -- I already had both a 1.1.2, and a "1.9.79" installation working. I mistook the out-of-datedness of the web-page to mean the working group wasn't very active. Perhaps I should have lurked awhile; but it seemed interesting things were about to happen.

If you would have
been here (or using Debian sarge/sid) you would have seen that there were
regular openoffice.org updates for sarge and sid and experimental.

the openoffice.debian.net page is woefully out of date. Altho' if it's any consolation, openoffice.org has an address in Germany that doesn't even respond: they were last updated December 2003.

Yes, we know. That site isn't our priority. You could send us patches if
you want FWIW. There AFAIK was one who volunteered to maintain that page
but he disappeared again...
Are we speaking of the Debian OOo page, here? Or the OO.org "Linux" page? Either way, with a 'last updated' date prominently displayed, a fairly-simple "current status" bullet could cure the impression of not being current. Perhaps you could point me toward some instruction in preparing proposed patches for the Debian page(s)? I did some, over a year ago, for the OO.org; but found it hard to have a "meeting of the minds" with the CollabNet way of doing things.

And well, what exactly do you want updated? NEWS? Except the upload of
new versions theer is nothing important there (well, we could mention
1.1.x, but the 1.1.0-2 stuff has the most important NEWS in Debian
OpenOffice.org history), the patches? The links should be quite self
explaining how to change them to get a site with the newest ones. The
package overview? Is automatically updated (since it's just a link to
the official DDPO).

Anyway, I will look whether I can find some time at this weekend to
update the page...

The news of a 2.0 Release Candidate availability hit my mailbox today. I hope we are planning on packaging it! I have downloaded the

That's plain wrong. It's 2.0 *beta*. Release Candidate is still a few
months away. Beta doesn't mean RC, betais some time before you even can
think about calling stuff a RC. There is still so many stuff to do...
Ahh. Pardon the hasty mis-understanding. I didn't have the announcement right under my nose when I wrote that.

OOo setup program.
I would like to help here. If I can do anything to make the news more current, or to speedup the packaging effort, please let me know.

There are still so many bugs in that. Is the non-Java build currently
working (see the other post why we can't yet build with gcj-4.0,
expecially since major fixed for that wsere introduced _after_ beta, m82
to be precise). I ddidn't folow that too closely since I have to do official
testbuilds for suns qa (see below) with Suns Java anyhow..? Does it build
fine using the system libs (I guess the answer to the last one is yes).

Anyway we both which are doing OOo packaging don't have that much time and
still have to do 1.1.x stuff (and I am trying to get upstreams buildsystem
- wrt configure, libs, etc - a bit more in shape for 2.0 final)

Grüße/Regards,

René

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.