Re: Creating a /etc/fonts/local.conf with different font order

On Σαβ 23 Οκτ 2004 14:08, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Hmmm, does something like
>         <alias>
>                 <family>sans-serif</family>
>                 <prefer>
>                         <family>FreeSans</family>
>                 </prefer>
>         </alias>
>
> work?

It does, but only temporarily. For some reason, when I do a first
login to KDE for a new user, in the 'eyecandy' screen of
KPersonalizer, if font antialising is checked, then KDE overrides the
default fonts (even if I have set them
in /etc/kde3/system.kdeglobals) and instead selects Nimbus Sans L as
default fonts. It does fall back to Free* for greek glyphs, but
certainly this is not what I want.

> This is a bug in OpenOffice.org. When using the "Sans" alias, it
> should fall back to other fonts when some glyphs are not available.
> That's what pango (and now, it seems, KDE) does.

I'm cc'ing the OpenOffice guys, for that. Chris, Rene any ideas? Maybe
this is the fix that you mentioned is going to be in 1.1.3?

> BTW, FreeSans and FreeSerif are not listed high in the alias list,
> as they often have rendering bugs or such. The Bitstream Vera fonts
> may look a bit weird sometimes, but they include a lot of glyphs
> too, and their rendering is optimized for Freetype.

Are the rendering bugs the reason that KPersonalizer overrides the
default font selection? Is this related to fontconfig or is it
strictly a KDE issue?

Thanks

Konstantinos