typographic habits

Hello list,

I use Open Office (debian version 1.0) for quite some time now and although I realy have tried to find a way to do so I can't get the following done: since in my papers for school /italic/ a very much used style I want to have quick access to it. I think it's a good thing that _text_ gets underlined in Open Office and not italic but than let something else be italic, like /text/. Please help me out of my burden of having to tap two keys all the time, it realy works bad on typing speeds. I don't mind whatever the solution is (even if it's a macro) but I do mind it being so hard to get this customisation thing done in a 'free' (not about the money) program; can't we think of a little scripting syntax to achief such custom auto-corrections?

Kind regards,
Jouke