Re: OpenOffice.org (LGPL) and hspell (GPL)

Chris Halls wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 11:33, Rene Engelhard wrote:
>>Am Dienstag, 21. September 2004 12:28 schrieb Steve Langasek:
>>
>>>Why not?  If all of OOo is LGPL, then the license allows you to
>>>distribute under the terms of the GPL, so linking with another GPL
>>>library is ok.
>>
>>Hmm...
>
> Does this mean we would be changing the licensing of the packages from
> LGPL/SISL to GPL only?  This may upset some users who are linking
> non-free modules to OOo at the moment.  I'm thinking of the Finnish
> spellchecking and hyphenation module that Jarno Elonen packaged.

This would arguably also affect the ability to package
openoffice.org-java, since that links OO.o to a non-free JDK.

I think the ideal solution would be to change hspell so that it can
build outside of the OO.o source tree; as far as I know, it is OK to
have some GPLed and some non-free plugins for the same LGPLed program,
as long as they are not all distributed together.

- Josh Triplett