Re: truetype installation help

** Reply to message from Chris Halls <halls@debian.org> on Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:11:39 +0100

>I'm
>wondering how we can improve this for others trying to do the same
>thing.

Chris,

There are peculiarities with the Debian openoffice.org's usage of fonts and its relationship with fontconfig and defoma, at least on my sarge installation:

i) All my additional fonts (type1, tt and otf) were visible available to gnome apps, Abiword, Gnumeric, kde3 apps and Mozilla; all were visible in fc-list, but only the tt fonts were visible to openoffice.org.

ii) I can make some of the type1fonts visible to oo.org *only* by listing them in my ~/.fonts.conf. Previously I had registered them with defoma instead (create a hint file with defoma-hint then register the fonts/hintfile using defoma-font as root). This links them to defoma's fontconfig directory.

   Apparently openoffice.org is not defoma aware and/or somehow determines its fonts in a way diferent from fc-list (?).

iii) For some reason, a few type-1fonts could *not* be made available to OpenOffice.org by listing them in my ~/.fonts.conf. But they too are available to all other apps like Abiword and visible in the fc-list.

iii) I still can't make otf fonts work in oo.org, even when listed in my ~/.fonts.conf (which is necessary in this case as defoma doesn't seem to support otf either). But these fonts are listed in fc-list and available to all other fontconfig-aware programs I've tried.

iv) personal ttf fonts registered via defoma and not put in my ~/.fonts.conf, work fine with openoffice.org

I'm not sure just what is going on, but OpenOffice.org is definitely  behaving differently than every other fontconfig-aware program on my system.

Bruce