OOo dies noiselessly when loading files

so, I've been having some trouble on my laptop with openoffice.  Using
packages I know work fine on my desktop -- OOo1.1.2dsfg1-3 -- I can't
load most files; about halfway thorugh loading soffice.bin continues
to run, but CPU usage goes to 0 and nothing appears to happen on
screen.  I tried the following:

mv .openoffice .openoffice-20041128
mv  ~/.sversionrc .sverisonrc-20041128
apt-get remove --purge openoffice.org && apt-get install openoffice.org

but I'm still having the same problem, and also I notice that somehow
the recent-files list in OOo still has some files listed in it.  So
I'm worried there are some faulty settings somewhere that I still
haven't removed properly.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some suggestions on how to deal with this.

thanks,

matt

 .''`.       Matt Price
: :'  :      Debian User