Re: openoffice problem prevents desktop task from working on all arches except: i386, powerpc, s390, sparc

Hi Joey,

[ snip ]

> I don't want to ship sarge with the desktop task not working on all
> arches; I can think of two ways to fix it:
>
> 1. Make openoffice.org-bin be in the desktop task, not openoffice.org. It
>    depends on openoffice.org, so this should still install everything, and
>    tasksel will skip installing openoffice at all if openoffice.org-bin is
>    not available for a given arch. To make this work, I will probably
>    also need to remove openoffice.org-help-en from the desktop task, and
>    remove all the openoffice.org-l10n-* and -help-* packages from the
>    localisd desktop tasks.

Didn't I already tell you this on IRC months ago?
Well, you added -bin in addition to openoffice.org then, but I guessed you
knew what you did... To be honest, I wonder why you come up with this
*now*...

#2 is planned _after sarge_, openoffice.org will be i386 powerpc s390 sparc
arm (former -bin) and openoffice.org will mutate into -common. I am not sure
whether it will be done with the first 1.1.3 upload but it is in my mind and
the wish already is in the BTS:

-help-* and  -l10n-* *are* architecture-independent, it would be senseless
to make them architecture-dependent and increase build time for binary-only
builds and mirror space - OOo is big enough already and with the 11! new
binary packages which are planned (IIRC 5 of them new language packs and 2
other arch-indep packages) it will be even bigger....

It is not feasible to do inside the sarge timeframe although some people
(including you probably) would like it.

Regards,

René