Recently used files not displayed in woody backport

Hi,

since upgrading to my home-built backport of version 1.1.1, OpenOffice no
longer displays recently used files at the bottom of the file menu.
It creates and writes a freedesktop.org-compliant ~/.recently-used but
obviously it doesn't read it (well, it actually does, as I could see running
strace, but its contents won't show up in the menu anyway).
Furthermore, only one entry is written to ~/.recently-used at any time,
overwriting any previous contents. So if I open several files and close them,
only the last one closed will be present in ~/.recently-used.
Are these problems that others see to (I couldn't find any related bug
reports), or are they probably unique to my backport? Otherwise it works just
fine.

Regards,

  Severin