OOo opens several windows when opening a single document

One (and I suspect several) of my users are experiencing the following
problem: when they double-click on a document to open it, OOo opens
several other windows also, with the title of previously opened
documents (but empty).

Using Debian Sarge up-to-date.
I deleted the profile (.openoffice/ and .sversionrc).
Using GNOME 2.4, and opening the files from Nautilus (I wonder if it
could be related).
Do not use ooqstart-gnome, as it was generating problems (similar).

Thanks
--
Jérôme Warnier
Consultant