French keyboard dead key problem

Hi,

I am running Debian/testing with openoffice.org
1.1.0-3 installed. Sometimes, I want to write in
French. To switch keyboard maps in other X11
applications such as emacs and mozilla, the command
"setxkbmap fr" works fine. But when I do this in
openoffice, the dead keys don't work. For example, to
get e circumflex (ê) I would normally type the
sequence "[e". If I do this in OOo, nothing appears.
Note that other accented characters such as e acute
(é) work fine. It's not a font problem because if I
copy and paste ê from another application into OOo, it
does appears.

Any clues? Thanks in advance